Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Down But Not Out- How To Maintain Your Fitness And Health When The Going Gets Tough

I am thrilled for my husband. Really, thrilled. He has been a volunteer firefighter for the past five years and just got hired on as a career firefighter. Leaving the corporate world, he gave his suits to goodwill and cleared out his closet with a happy heart. And then he went to fire academy.

Fire academy for those that don't know is like Marine Boot Camp for THREE MONTHS. That means for three months I am the parent in charge to our three children, owner of a home training studio, part time group exercise director at a large health club, chauffeur, cook, accountant, maid, blah blah blah. You know, all those things moms do (seriously, single moms, I am forever praising you) but while working and did I mention injured?


This post truly isn't an open invite to the pity party. I am here to say that things can be R O U G H but we still have to focus in on health. We must! I'm just trying to convey that the chips are down and the stress is high but it's going to be okay. If I were to just throw in the towel here, my cortisol levels would skyrocket, I'd gain a bajillion pounds and I'd never sleep a wink. So....here's the game plan.

This was a one of my kids
b-day before we went out
for dinner.
I got a quick set in
cause you know
there would be cake!


Whether it's time, injury, space... you need to throw the excuse out the window because you can do this! There is ample research these days as to just how much time is needed for a beneficial workout. The good news is that with so many Hiit classes (High Intensity Interval Training), you can get a full body workout done in as little as 20 minutes. And this is coming from someone who willingly runs and bikes for hours on end! :) Research also indicates that it's truly the intensity of the workout, not the duration. Everyone can set aside that or incorporate it into their favorite TV show, while helping with homework (don't laugh, I've done it), or even the dreaded set the alarm a smidge earlier. So the time excuse is out.


Foam rolling helps injuries heal
but also helps ward them
 off from happening!
What about injury, you ask? Chances are if your top is broken, the bottom works and vice versa. In my dumb boot, I have gained some great upper body strength. Maybe it's a core focus or flexibility gains with yoga. Whatever is not in optimal health on the body just lends to the opportunity to focus elsewhere. And lastly the space. I am blessed to have a home gym but I've also lived in houses that have nada as far as space. That's the time the coffee table gets pushed out of the way and you welcome burpees, squats, push ups, planks, high knees...the list could go on and on.


I'm so excited to one day have my honey back and be able to run and see fabulous sights but in the meantime, I am going to stay Positive, with a capital P because I mean it. I am going to eat nourishing food, hang out with uplifting people, sleep as much as I can, work when & what I'm able to and wish the same for all out Titanics out there. I may be down but surely not out.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great plan, and I know you'll stick to it!!

    ReplyDelete